Popular Breeds

My Dog Ate Chocolate – Should I Be Worried?

Most dog owners are aware that chocolate is a big no-no for dogs. However, the amount and the type of chocolate a dog ingests makes a huge difference in how your dog will be affected by it. While the random chocolate chip in a cookie is hardly ever an issue, certain kinds of chocolate are highly toxic to pooches.

chocolate

In most cases, the more bitter and darker the chocolate a dog has ingested, the greater the risk of him getting poisoned. The amount of chocolate a dog can ingest without serious adverse effects is relative to the size of the dog as well. Where a 75-pound Labrador may show no reaction to eating a slice of chocolate cake, a 4-pound Chihuahua may be seriously at risk.

Warning Signs of Poisoning

The toxicity of chocolates is generally caused by a chemical that’s relative of caffeine known as methylxanthines. This triggers diarrhea, vomiting, lethargy, hyperactivity, increased thirst, agitation, seizures, abnormal heart rate, and sometimes death.

Also, with as low as 20 mg/kg of theobromine, another chemical compound in chocolates that is indigestible to dogs, clinical signs of canine…


Around the Web

Follow Me

Free Email Updates
Get the latest content first.
We respect your privacy.
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR DOG NEWLETTER

Get the latest doggie content first!

Dog Couture Country is powered by the ContentQube Network, a oneQube.com technology.

We respect your privacy. By subscribing you agree to our Privacy Policy. Please add connect@oneqube.com to ensure inbox delivery!